Pipsqueak Engine

While at BYU, during the mechanical engineering program, students are required to take a class called Manufacturing Processes. In this class, you learn about different manufacturing processes as the name suggests, but you also are given a semester-long project to create a pipsqueak engine with a team. With my team, we used one member’s design and then manufactured the parts with various manufacturing processes.

One of our parts, our flywheel, was created, initially, using sand casting. This was our first iteration of the flywheel. We tried two more times, however, the results were generally the same. This was due to us not being able to sufficiently pack the sand enough to keep the original parts shape. Due to this, the picture below was not what we ended up using, and you can see what we used in the video at the bottom

Many of our parts were made on the lathe. Most of our piston was made on the lathe and our shaft was also made on the lathe. Below you can see the drive shaft that went from the crank wheel to the fly wheel.

We also used a manual mill for many of our parts. Both of our uprights as well as the baseplate were made using the manual mill to face and drill the holes required.

At the end of the semester, we had to have our pipsqueak engine built. Once they were built, they were used in a competition to see whose pipsqueak engine could run on the lowest air pressure. While this video does not reflect the lowest psi that our pipsqueak engine could be run at, we did end up tying for first place in our lab section.