A Stationary Design for Those Always on the Move

In my product design class, we were tasked with looking at the Quad Lock family of products and identifying one that we believed we could make an iteration of that would address an issue of the current state. Following that decision, we would prototype, get feedback from potential end users, and then create a report regarding our proposed change.

I initially started by looking through Quad Lock’s website to find negative reviews and then brainstorming ideas on how to fix those voiced issues by verified users. I found their Desk Mount Kit and decided to iterate that due to many negative complaints regarding the difficulty of removing the phone and wireless charging making an obnoxious electrical sound. I then took to Amazon to see what kinds of phone stand people currently like.

Once I felt that I had a pretty good grasp of what the market was wanting, I began to sketch out some ideas before creating them in SolidWorks. After creating my design in SolidWorks I had the models 3D printed so that I could get feedback from possible end users so that I could iterate my design.

The final design moved away from the bulky quad-lock feature and moved to four magnets to make it easier to attach and remove the phone from the stand. To fix the wireless charging electric noise, I removed the wireless charger and made an area where a charging cord could be routed to the user’s charging port.

Below is the report that I wrote that has a more in-depth discussion of what happened throughout this process.

Iteration

Rarely does the first prototype ever end up being the final design of the product. Here is a view of how I iterated an important piece in a design.

This piece was a bridge that would hold a PCB in place on a stand that also held the display that it would control. After this first iteration, it was apparent that there was no good way to secure the PCB into place, and changes needed to be made. It was decided that it would be made on an SLS printer so that many parts could be made quicker than if it were to be made on a different 3D printer like an FDM or SLA printer.

The first change was to add holes on the left and right faces such that this bridge would not be able to move or fall out of its placement within the assembly. Next, the two holes on the upper face were added so that dowel pins could be pushed through to act as posts to go through holes that were located in corners of the PCB. It was also decided that the PCB shouldn’t be cantilevered over the edge so the extrusion was made to hole the PCB better.

After obtaining some input from those on the software team about the previous design, it was decided that the extrusion needed to be modified so that the heat from the back of the PCB could escape and not heat the SLS material. Countersinks were also added to faces to allow for screws to be used in place of the dowel pins to ensure they wouldn’t fall out. It also cleaned up the look of the assembly once all of the components were attached as well.

css.php